MY One Word

It’s here at last.  We get to share our words!!

Last year was my first year doing the One Word challenge in place of a New Year’s resolution.  Many of you read my One Word blog post last week and have been praying about your word for the year.  I can’t wait to hear what God gave you.  If you are just now joining us, you can also go to http://www.myoneword.org to read more.

For me, if I look back over the past few years in my journals, I see and recall themes and seasons, even before I ever heard of picking one word.  Like I said, my word for last year was steps.

The year before that would’ve been courage.  That was a year of facing my fears to share my story and  to speak to large groups of women.  It was a year of so many scary firsts, it had to have been courage.

The year before that was wait. There was a lot of God saying, “Wait. Not yet. Be still and know that I am God.”

The year before that was the year my grandma was still living with Alzheimer’s.  I think my word that year would’ve been contentment.  It was a challenge to find contentment in those mundane, sometimes stressful moments.  Looking back I see that God did give me contentment and peace, and those moments with my grandma I’ll always treasure.

Hind sight’s 20/20.  It’s easier to pick the word in retrospect.  Picking a character changing word to move forward with God is much harder.  It takes an inward look at the areas that may need work, and zoning in on just one.

MY ONE WORD for 2012 is GO!  It’s a little word packed full of punch.  It may seem simple and similar to steps to you, but for me it means so much more.

With this word, I feel like I’m being given a green light from God.  To me it says, “move, say yes and do what God says do right then, have courage, persevere, set goals and achieve them.”  See?  I told you.  This is character changing for me because sometimes fear speaks making it difficult to set goals and have the courage to persevere through.  So GO, as small as it seems, is actually the biggest, most life-changing word I could think of.

When Jesus healed people during His ministry on earth, he would often say, “Now go in peace, your faith has healed you.”  So when I think of that word, it reminds me to trust God.  It hinges on the words “faith, peace and healing.”

Ok, that’s mine.  Now it’s your turn, and I’m beside myself with anticipation!  So, what’s your ONE WORD and how did you get to it, or why did you choose it?

11 thoughts on “MY One Word

1. RebeccaAarup says:

Wow, so weird re-reading this. Perseverance turned out to mean nothing like I expected it to mean. What a year!!! Really looking forward to a new year, new opportunities, and new ways to grow in faith. God is good, no matter what the circumstances seem to say. His character is constant, and I’m thankful for that–because nothing else in this world is sure.
    “Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.” Psalm 143:10

Rebecca, what you’ve written is truth! NOTHING else in this world is sure:) But Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever! His promises remain! Blessings over you in the coming year! Merry Christmas!

Thanks for dropping in, Bonita! I love it! I’m hoping my word GO is going to help me in the department of COMPLETION:)

2. laurie glascock says:

Gosh…it’s so fun reading about everyone’s “One Word” 🙂 I still haven’t really gotten confirmation on my “Word” yet…but I pray that in whatever this year holds that I will be obedient, persevere, act and I have a sweet friend who is ready to Go (because sometimes I need a push!!!) I love hearing from all you sweet ladies and knowing that we all have a heart for our awesome KING!!! Thanks Ver for your obedience in writing this blog 😉 Love you bunches ❤

3. Dana Ward says:

My word this year is OBEDIENT. There have been so many times in my life that I knew the Holy Spirit was prompting me to do ‘whatever’ it may have been at the time. I know I have missed many blessings and much peace from not being OBEDIENT. So, I will be striving this year to listen more closely to Him when I feel He has spoken and be OBEDIENT to the things He is telling me to do.

4. rebeccaaarup says:

Laurie and I have been talking about this, I’ll let her share her word (I know it!), but mine is Perseverace. God has given me a lot of goals this year, I believe they are from Him, and in order to complete them I will have to presevere, not just in a physical sense, but more so in a spiritual sense. This has already played itself out in major ways, so I am 100% confident this is my word. Persevere/Diligence in my prayer life, study time, work, marriage, music, writing….God has BIG things in store, but He requires diligence and obedience from me first and foremost in my relationship with Him and then he will the rest of my paths straght.

“You have charged us to keep your commandments carefully. Oh that my actions would consistently reflect your decrees!
    I will study your commands and reflect on your ways. I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word.
    Reassure me of Your promise, made to those who fear you.” Psalm 119:4-5,15-16,38 nlt

5. Sara Johnson says:

My word is ACTION. I had thought about go, but go just didn’t have the meaning that I was looking for. I chose action because I want to see change. I know that if I pray about what to do, God will give me the guidance to know what to do. I have to take ACTION to accomplish what He has in store for me. And in order to take ACTION, I have to set aside fear, anxiety and sometimes fatigue, to go and do whatever it is He is asking of me. So in 2012, I will take action. I will not talk or lecture or think about things. I will DO THEM for God’s glory !
    Thanks, Rivera, for inspiring this.