Publishers, Brands, and Platforms

Many of you know, I’ve been on a journey for a couple of years with God over the writing of a book.  I’ve pleaded with Him wanting Him to let it go.  I’ve argued that I have nothing to prove to myself or anyone else.  Writing a book isn’t on my bucket list.  Well I don’t really have a bucket list, but if I did, it wouldn’t be on the list.  The only reason I’m doing it is because God is saying it’s what He wants.  I know, I know… that’s what all Christian writers say.  But really!  He will not let up on this one!  Not only that, this book is so deeply imbedded in the fabric of who I am and who He is, it simply must be written!  It won’t let me go until it’s done!

When I first prayed for confirmation, with no idea what I would actually write, He confirmed by giving me a title.  Later, He gave a me a dream– don’t think I’m crazy.  God-inspired dreams really happen to people– at a time when I was fasting and praying.  In this dream, He gave me direction for the outline of the book.  Seems unbelievable, I know, but He did!  He had to, He knew it was something I probably would never come up with on my own.

Recently, I pitched the idea to three publishers at the She Speaks Conference in Charlotte, NC.  Whoever said “writing a book proposal is like birthing an elephant” was so right!  Though I’m not sure what that would feel like, I’m pretty certain it would hurt.  And YES, this proposal was a painful and tedious process, but God faithfully provided.  Not only did He inspire me with His words and direction each day of the process, He provided prayer warriors to faithfully lift me up.  The right people were there in the perfect time to help with edits as well.  (You know who you are, and I’m forever grateful)!

The publishers were interested in the idea, and each asked to take and review my proposal and  sample chapters.  I wasn’t aware until later, this was a big deal!  I thought they were taking all the proposals at the conference out of courtesy.  Apparently not.  They didn’t accept everyone’s ideas, so I was humbled and ecstatic they had wanted to take mine.

I’ve seen God so visibly through this process.  For example, I had written the first chapter to take with my proposal.  I wanted my second sample chapter to be the one God clearly wanted the publishers to read!  After asking Him to show me, He led me to scriptures confirming the “Eyes” chapter.  (Sorry, that’s all I can give away for now).

At the conference, one of the key speakers (I think it may have been Lysa TerKeurst or Renee Swope) mentioned how the main speakers never compare notes when they are preparing what to speak at the conference.  They came together in the last stages of planning and realized a running theme in their messages was vision, our eyes, God’s eyes, and fixing our eyes on Jesus.  They even brought an artist in to paint a picture of eyes during the conference.

How obviously God!  What a confirmation for me!  Where God guides, He truly does provide.

Platform and branding were mentioned in my publisher meetings.  They made several suggestions to enlarge my platform.  I’ve always resisted the word “platform.”  Jesus is our Rock and bigger than any human platform.  He’s really the only platform any of us need.  Humanly speaking, I understand and know the importance of platform, I just prefer to call it “span of influence.”

I trust God, so I don’t fret over these things.  But, I know they are necessary for little things like…getting a book deal.  Over the past couple of weeks my sweet mama, my sister-in-law (and first blog follower ever), Joann, and a few of my friends have sent out email messages asking their friends and family to support me by “subscribing” to my blog.  I’m humbled and blessed by them.  All of you bless me as you read, comment, follow, and/or share.  I love the community of wonderful people God has surrounded me with through this blog.

Blessed is really an understatement!

Thank you, and I can’t wait to take you on this journey with me.  God is the greatest Network, Platform, and Brand.  Branded by Jesus’ blood and righteousness, and sealed with the Holy Spirit is the only way to be branded, right?  I ask you to pray for me as I wait to hear from publishers, continue writing the book, pursue branding my blog, and expectantly wait as God continually makes the path smooth and straight.  Thank you for journeying with me as I trust Him!  My prayer is that He will leave us all standing in awe of Him, even more than we already are!

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen.”  Ephesians 3:20-21

30 thoughts on “Publishers, Brands, and Platforms

1. lovethosebaconbits says:

Hi Rivera! I found your post by Google searching “She Speaks publisher meetings!” Thank you for sharing about your experience here… I’m in the middle of early labor, and yes – that elephant feels huge! Any and every tidbit you’re willing to share about those meetings would be greatly appreciated! 🙂 Amanda
    thescarletpaisley@yahoo.com

2. Amanda B says:

I came across your blog when I searched “She Speaks publisher meetings”! Needless to say, I’m in the middle of early labor… that elephant feels huge! 🙂 Any tips/info you’d be willing to share on those publisher meetings would be greatly appreciated… 🙂 Excited to hear what has come of all of this… If you have the notion, you can email me, Amanda thescarletpaisley@yahoo.com

1. Paula says:

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Paula > Date: October 3, 2012 5:40:30 AM CDT > To: Rivera Douthit > Subject: Re: [New comment] Publishers, Brands, and Platforms > > Hi! This is paula from the conference ( short older lady and red head highlights!). I have thought of you often and have enjoyed your blog very much. I want to so encourage you. You are gifted and god is preparing you. I just know it!!! Have you heard back anything from the editors? I have a student in my psych class that reminds me if you. I told her not to feel scared if I look at her in a strange manner. I am directing her to your blog . Never know what god is up > P to with this situation! > > Well keep up the writing. I’ll keep following! > > Ps. I envy the southern upbringing you have. And I can hear your voice as I read your devotions. > > Blessings dear sister in Christ > Paula > > Sent from my iPad > >

Paula,
        I absolutely remember you! 🙂 Funny how we see and describe ourselves differently than others. I would say you were the small, bubbly blonde in our group with lots of transparency and a passion for family. That’s you, right?;)

To answer your question, I haven’t heard anything yet. They told me it would take several months. Keep praying. We’ll see!

Your words for me mean more than you know, honestly! They are confirming and encouraging. God has given me a specific calling and told me I’m in a preparation period:) He used you today to emphasize this to me. I’m so excited to follow Him every step. It’s a journey, and it’s so fun! 🙂 Where He says go, I’ll go. What He says do, I’ll do. 🙂 He knows that!

I’m so blessed by friends like you. He overwhelms me sometimes with the blessing of people. He places them there at just the right time to be His voice, His smile, HIs hands and feet. Today, it was you. Thank you for your obedience to listen to HIm and encourage me!

Blessings from NC!!! 🙂
        PS Thank you for reading and passing my writing along to others!

3. fullherlife says:

Yay Rivera! I will pray for you and your book! God has given me a book idea as well… never would have thought it in a million years! 😉 I’m just processing the vision for it, and writing a little. Thanks for addressing the “platform” issue as well. I want Him to be the reason I have a span of influence… it’s all about Him sister! I so enjoy your writing, the look of your blog, everything… keep sharing sister! ~ Blessings out, Amy 🙂

Thank you. I believe I mentioned to you while at dinner at She Speaks that I went last year just to observe and process. Over the past year God gave me confirmation and clear vision for the book. Now I just pray He provides the right publisher:) I will be praying for you my friend for clarity and publishing as well:)
      Your words are sweet and encouraging. Thank you! Saw a movie set in Maine tonight. Made me think of you;)

4. Sara Carney says:

I love seeing God work so enormously in your life. You are doing such great things for the cause of Christ! You inspire me girl! Love and miss you!

5. Paula says:

You have such a peaceful spirit. When you were concerned the first night of the she speaks small group. I was like. Really? The prescence of the holy spirit was there for you. I love the way you give god all the glory,and you are obedient to his impressions upon you! I will be praying about your book!!! I want you to know you made a lasting impression on me and now your book can do that with many! Blessings all around to one of God’s beautifully and wonderfully made daughters. ;0)
    Paula

6. Audrey Malloy says:

What an absolutely BEAUTIFUL journey you are on friend. So thankful for your obedience to God!! I am so blessed by your writing and your words of truth!! Love your authenticity!!
    Keep writing!! I’ll keep praying!!! Love you Rivera I can’t wait to read the book!!

This post so beautifully captures your heart and spirit…for God and for the project He has given you! I know you must feel, at times, as though you’re on a rollercoaster with this endeavor…but keep on going! He has much to teach you so that you can, in turn, teach others! You have my love, along with my support and my prayers that His will be done!!

8. Caroline McGinnis says:

I will be praying for your book to come together. Continue to obey God and to act upon His calling. I look forward to reading your book as well I know it will be great because you have a devotion for God and to obey His plan for you. LOL

9. RebeccaAarup says:

You are very blessed to have the platform you do. And though it may not seem like much, its a lot more than many others have. 🙂 I have no doubt your book will do well.
    Im still waiting for a specific confirmation (or “sign”) and really feel hesitant to move forward until I receive it.
    This whole process is daunting and overwhelming and I often wonder if I’m cut out for it, especially since I’m not a speaker. We’ll see!
    I’m excited to read your book when it’s ready and will continue to pray for you. Thanks for helping me on my journey as well. 🙂

10. pamelanogueira says:

It’s amazing to see your obedience to Him in this whole journey and even more amazing to see how He is constantly giving you direction! You know I’ll keep on praying for, Rivera!!!