…when life’s spinning out of control at Christmas!

Christmas

I’ve seriously considered putting the remainder of my gifts in brown, paper grocery bags and tying a bow on them to do my wrapping.   Not very sheik I’ll admit, but desperate mamas call for desperate measures!

Mix having too much on my plate with asking God lately to break my heart for what breaks His. Let’s just say I am a tearful mess!  He’s doing it!  He’s breaking my heart, alright!

Everywhere I turn there are single moms muddling through life, trying to make ends meet raising their children aloneTHIS breaks my heart!

I have a friend fighting cancer.  THIS breaks my heart!

There are families spending Christmas without loved ones because of sickness and premature death. There will be gifts not opened.  THIS breaks my heart…to the point of sobbing!!!

I believe the same things break God’s heart.  He’s breaking MY heart for what’s already broken His.

We live in a fallen world where sin abounds, and God chose to walk in the filth of this world to give us life.  That’s how much human sickness, death, and the thought of our sin separating us from Him broke His heart.

This world has trouble, but Jesus promised, “take heart for I have overcome the world.”  We can have victory over all this sadness and hopelessness.  We can know without a doubt there’s a Way out of it… and it’s Jesus!

He’s the gift!  He is the peace…the Prince of Peace.  When we’re grasping for something to calm us in the midst of the craziness and business of this season, He is what and Who we need.

When our hearts are anxious and broken, He’s the calm!

When lies overwhelm, He’s the truth!

When we need to be lifted out of the muck and mire, He’s our rescue!

When we feel we can’t go on, He sustains!

When we’re unsure of how to make ends meet, He’s provision. Remember, He fed 5000 with just a few fishes and loaves.  He’s a God of miracles, and He hasn’t changed!

We tend to sit baby Jesus on a shelf  or hang Him on our tree.   But He’s not a God to be put on a shelf to collect dust and admire from a distance.

He is Jesus!  King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace, Emmanuel, Comforter, Healer, Provider, I AM, Alpha and Omega, Beginning and End, the Good Shepherd, the Vine, the Gate, the Door, the Way, the Truth, the Life, the Light of the World, the Bread of Life, and the Living Water.

He is God who sees and knows and cares. He is worth celebrating!  He is Christ-mas!

So when life overwhelms, remember Him. Depend on Him.  Rest in Him!  Hope in Him!  Worship Him!  Celebrate Jesus, and feel the calm of the Savior!

18 thoughts on “…when life’s spinning out of control at Christmas!

I’m with you. My heart has broken this season in a new way over the devastation of our messy world. I’ve been reminded twice in the past couple of weeks that Jesus was born into the same broken world. Herod murdered baby boys in an effort to destroy the Messiah. While the scenario may look different, our enemy is bent on destruction. I’m so glad none of it is wasted in God’s ways. How wonderful that our redeemer, Jesus, comes to us and is able to use every tragic situation as an opportunity to show us his love and comfort. Thanks again for sharing a wonderful post! I pray that our broken hearts continue throughout the year as we follow Jesus into his appointments for us to bless others and bear their burdens. May God bless you for your writing that encourages your readers!

2. D says:

Rivera,
    I KNOW that God is in control, no matter what is going on and ultimately that assurance gives me peace in all the turmoil in the world.
    I thank God for my wife daily, I tell her how much I love her and need her. Yesterday for some reason I felt down and a bit overwhelmed about all the work involved at Christmas in what should be a relaxing time. I longed to be in my wife’s arms and just cuddle and kiss.When we finally got to bed we did just that, no sex, just holding each other and ‘whispering sweet nothings’. After 10 minutes in the arms of the most wonderful woman in the world all the tension drained out of me and we were both able to relax and sleep. Marriage is indeed God’s most wonderful gift to mankind. I am so blessed.
    May you have a most wonderful Christmas with your family.

3. Caroline McGinnis says:

Loved reading this and it is do trur in every wau and in every word mentioned. May you and your family have a wonderful and blessed Christmas. From your friend in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

4. Jan Meek says:

Your words always seem to impact me in some way. I have 4 children and this year has included a 5-day hospital stay for my husband with a diagnosis of diabetes and a ticked off gall bladder with out patient surgery for him later, surgery for my 17 year old daughter, several doctor’s appointments for the entire family which includes, but is not limited to, 2 MRI’s, 2 CT scans, 1 ultrasound, 1 fractured bone, 5 trips to the dentist with 2 root canals, 2 kids unsure of college future…I could go on and on but I won’t. I have given it all to God. Through these trials, I have tried my best to let God be in control and allow His will to be done and pray that we can all draw closer in our relationship to Jesus. My heart breaks for our soldiers who are serving our country. I have 5 soldiers that I write to and send care packages to. Rivera, messages like you have written today impact me and I hope that you do not mind if I use some of your words to impact others as I write to them. I so appreciate them. Thank you for being an inspiration.
    By the way, my mom always wrapped our Christmas presents in newspaper when we were kids (and still does). She always made sure that we had at least one present wrapped in the Sunday comics and after unwrapping them, we would read the comics.

Jan, thank you for sharing parts of your story and your heart. I love that you take the time to send care packages to soldiers:)

Your words bless and encourage me. Thank you. Blessings to you and yours this Christmas. Please pass these words on or use them as inspiration anytime! All glory to God!

How beautiful a post, Beautiful Rivera!!! I truly believe all the hurt, ugliness, and wickedness we’re seeing is God’s way of saying, “Last Call!!!” at the end of the night! We have nothing on this earth that can help us the way He can!!! Merry Christmas, my dear friend!!! I thank Jesus for the gift of your blog, but more importantly, for the gift of your friendship!!! Love you!!! ❤

6. Tammy says:

Well my heart is breaking my mom is sick, my son is in Colorado in the Army and my granddaughters are in Newyork. and yeah being a single mom is hard. but some how I manage to pull through it how with faith like you said. God is very powerful when we need him. Thanks it brought tears to my eyes. have a blessed Christmas.