My One Word 2013: it’s about time

chess

Well if you’re as curious about MY ONE WORD as I am about yours, here goes!

As I was (and still am) praying over some big decisions, God took me to the story of Saul being anointed as king.  This verse jumped off the page as I read.

“Now then, stand still and see this great thing the Lord is about to do before your eyes!  ~1 Samuel 12:16

This message was specifically for me.  Stand still, Rivera!  Don’t get ahead of Me.  Let me do My thing in your life, and your  job is to stand in awe of Me!

I thought, stand is probably my word for this year, but I’ll wait and see.

The following week, I received some of the nastiest, most hateful comments on an older post I have ever received in my years of writing.  (I know I’ve been sheltered).  Through those harsh words, God reminded me to stand firm, not wavering, but always speaking truth in love regardless of potential rejection. Then He took me to this word,

“Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.  Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.  Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,  and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.”  ~Ephesians 6:11-15

Again I thought, stand is probably my word, but I’ll wait.

I continued to ask God.  A few more days passed, then He took me to

“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.  ~Galatians 5:1

That was it!

Stand still, stand up, stand firm, stand in awe, stand confident, stand on truth.

And when you’ve done everything, STAND!

My word is stand.

So what’s yours?  If you don’t mind sharing, I would LOVE to hear!

33 thoughts on “My One Word 2013: it’s about time

1. Yahobahne says:

Sometimes it’s so easy to miss that still small voice coming from the Holy Spirit, for whatever reason. However, I’m glad that that day the Lord instructed you to “stand,” you had an ear to hear, and you obeyed. God bless you sis. And…keep on standing… 🙂

2. Carol McCall says:

My one word is abide. While I am frequently aware of God’s presence throughout the day, I have not learned how to totally abide there. I desire to abide in Christ Jesus; abide in the love of Jesus Christ; abide in the Son and in the Father. I can only do that through the work of the Holy Spirit. John 15 reveals some insight of things connected to abiding. There is a significant relationship between abiding and God-honoring fruitfulness. Also, abiding affects receiving affirmative answers to our prayers. 1 John 2:24-28 confirms the importance of abiding in Christ Jesus. May I indeed grow in abiding in this year. Last year my word was wait.

3. Tracey Rogers says:

God revealed to me that my One Word is steadfast… particularly steadfast in my prayer life. While reading Luke 18 (the story of the persistent woman) and Luke 11:9 (the story of the man knocking on a friend’s door needing bread in the middle of the night), the word persistent jumped out at me.
    I knew this was it. If I am honest with myself, and with you … my prayer time is one area that I know God wants me to grow in.
    I believe Jesus told the disciples this parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. To be persistent in praying for our needs to be met.
    When I am in constant, daily prayer with God – he renews my mind. He gives me the ability remove those lies we hear about ourselves from our own self-deception or from others and teaches me to replace them with His truth and His promises. When I have days where I feel like giving up or giving in, God always shows me the way out – through persistent, steadfast prayer.
    This means to pray about everything – to worry less and trust Him more; to replace lies with His truth, to keep connected with him daily and to continue to grow in my walk and become more Christlike each day.
    Thank you Rivera for sharing One Word.

4. melanielynngriffin says:

Hello – I believe that my word is “redemption.” I am looking for God’s purposes in everything, past and present. Things I used to think were entirely negative are now revealing lessons and blessings. God is not the beginning and THEN the end. God is the beginning AND the end – it is all a circle of grace.
    Thanks for following my blog, and blessings on the decisions you are pondering..

5. Audrey Malloy says:

Joining you again this year in praying for my one word!! Last year it was Connect, and although I believe that Jesus will continue to show me all the ways He will use me to Connect, I will be faithful to always Connect to Him first and foremost!!

I am certain that my One Word for 2013 is Guard!! The Lord has confirmed and has taken me to two passages of scripture over and over.
    Proverbs 4:13 Take hold of instruction, do not let go; guard her, for she is your life.
    2Timothy1:14 Guard and keep(with the greatest care) the precious and excellently adapted (Truth) which has been entrusted (to you), by the (help of the) Holy Spirit Who makes his home in us.

Along with these two passages, to guard my heart, my mind, my words and to stand guard all came to my mind. I can’t wait to see all the ways The Lord is going to teach me to guard/protect in this new year!!
    Thank you Rivera!! Much Love and Blessings to you.

6. Karen Connell says:

Hi a friend just sent me your site & I love this. I am going to begin praying for my word to be revealed to me. I have recently just gotten out of the hospital & am recovering. Have lots to think about as aI have been disgnosed with a disease that will most likely cause me financial issues. Am grateful to know what is wrong so I can get well & hopefully remain well. But the worry creeps in regarding the finances. My heart tells me to trusy & look back at how well God has provided so far as I have raised 3 children alone on a teachers salary. They are wonderful & I am blessed. So please pray for me. Thanks for the new thought of finding encouragement through “one word.” Blessings to you today. Karen

Wow Karen, thank you for sharing your story. I will certainly be praying God’s protection, provision and healing over you.
      I look forward to hearing your stories in the future of how you’ve seen Him intervene through this on your behalf. He is so faithful.
      Blessings friend.

7. joan knight says:

My is proverbs trust in the lord with all your heart. Thank you i have been going thru a storm your ministry has meant alot. God bless

Joan, Thank you for sharing your word. There’s no better word than TRUST. That on is packed full! Trusting Him is the most sure way to weather any storm. Feel free to email me riveradouthit@gmail.com if there is some way I can pray for you specifically. Otherwise, I will be praying God gets you through this storm. Hang in there. Much love.

8. Brandi Luiz says:

I will be praying for my one word. I think I need to do this, this year. It’s starting out rocky, I need some strength to “stand” in Him, so I shall find a word.

1. Brandi Luiz says:

Ok, I think mine is JOY. I am doing the JOY DARE with Ann VosKamp and I also have mentioned that I feel I have lost my JOY. Then one of my patients today was named JOY, so I feel that maybe God is leading me to JOY this year.
        THanks Rivera. I appreciate your blogs!
        Brandi

9. Courageous Jane says:

My word, superficial as it seems, came to me clear as a bell at the beginning of the year. “Friends.” My worldly friendships are going through some changes as we go through life transitions, some growing, some fading. God seems to be prodding me to go ahead and focus on my friendships this year. No more being apathetic … I have to work on this. At the same time, He is reminding me that He is my friend. Chris Tomlin’ s song “Whom Shall I Fear” has been my most recent favorite song, but sometimes I don’ t even realize it’s on and I’m singing along until I get to the line that says “The one who reigns forever, He is a friend of mine. The God of angel armies is always by my side.”
    P.S. Loving my new friend from She Speaks Sunday Breakfast. A life- changing meal that was.

10. Suzy Plyler says:

My word is “encourage” … I have been reminded over and again how often I myself need this and how so many around me need it, too. It is so easy to give. It’s free! It brings blessing to both giver and receiver! So why do I withhold it? Why so often do I become a discourager instead? My word is “encourage” … in word and deed, in speech and conduct, in love and in thought, in all my circumstances … “encourage”.
    Suzy

Suzy, thank you for sharing. THAT is a wonderful word for the year. You’re right, SO many need it. Our words have power to build up or tear down, which will it be? Love it! Blessings.

Hmmm…MANY words come to mind, so I’ll need to be in prayer about which ONE word GOD has in mind for me 🙂 Rivera, your writing (like your faith) continues to blossom, and you are touching SO many lives as you put your spiritual journey into print for all to read. Thank you! It also occurred to me as I read this posting that you might have something to teach us about how God leads you to particular passages in Scripture. It’s a question I’ve heard voiced many times over the years, and I think you’re in a perfect position to provide insight for so many who might be wondering…Much love and prayer!!

P.S. Remember that others’ opinions are more a reflection of where they are at a given moment in time (physically, emotionally, intellectually, spiritually) than they are anything else. Sometimes people get caught up in struggles and project their pain onto others in a less than “grace-full” way. It’s happened to me, and I’m sure to you as well. Be thankful that they are giving feedback, as it will broaden your understanding… Be compassionate and forgiving, as the road they are traveling may be a rocky one at this time. Love them and pray for them; they may be missing out on both of these… Finally, “mine for the gold”… that is, keep that which will help you grow and go forward, and discard the rest. Let God’s sweet Holy Spirit teach you so that you can reach others in a more powerful and profound way than ever before… Count it all good and trust that God will use these incidents to show you more of Himself…something I KNOW you yearn for! In His Grace…

Mary, thank you as always for your encouraging words. I will pray about how to write about hearing from God and Him leading me to particular scriptures:) That’s a great idea!

Thank you for your PS. I agree with everything you wrote. Amazingly, I felt God’s Holy Spirit protection and resilience over my heart. I always say, “hurting people hurt people.” The next morning I prayed for the two commenters before responding to them, then God took me to scripture that reminded me to pray for my enemies. I felt relieved that I had already been in prayer for them. I let God do the responding, but to do that, I had to wait a day. MY response wouldn’t have been so grace-full. But HIS was filled with grace! I will probably write about it soon.

12. restingintheword says:

I think my one word is “wait”, as in Wait upon The Lord! My house and heart were deeply wounded after i found out my husband had affairs with two other women the year before last. As much as I wanted to pack my bags and divorce him at first, the Holy Spirit has very strongly placed it on my heart to be patient. I just think, Lord – maybe there is more you have to show me, or maybe He’s going to perform a miracle in my relationship. I have peace about it, and here I am….waiting…..

Thank you so much for your transparency. Waiting is one of the most difficult things to do, because our tendency is to want to be busy fixing. But some of the most intimate, re-filling, growing and healing times with God can be in the wait. I encourage you to do what you hear Him asking you to do, and in the process stand in awe of Him my friend. He’s the same yesterday, today and forever, and He’s still doing miracles.

13. restingintheword says:

That’s awesome, I think mine is “wait”, as in wait on The Lord. My marriage is shabby, my heart and home still wounded from the events of the last few years because of my spouses infidelity. But I’m sitting here, waiting for His direction and comfort. I feel it, it’s a slow healing process.