Wow God!

She Speaks Intensive- Charlotte

I’m busting to tell you what I’ve been up to lately.

Really I just want to tell you how awesome our God is, but that’s a given!  Awesome doesn’t even get close.  There are no words, really.  Not a day passes that He doesn’t leave me standing–there’s my One Word for the year–in awe of Him!

As most of you know, I attended She Speaks–a conference for ministry leaders, writers, speakers–last summer (2012) in Charlotte, NC.  While at the conference, I met some AMAZING women, too many to name!

I was in a small group of wonderful speakers led by Luann Prater.  I was particularly down on myself after our first night in small group.  We were to tell our story in 3 (or 5) minutes, I can’t remember which.  I missed the email with the particulars about speaking.  I had my message prepared, but it wasn’t about “my story.”

Needless to say, I scrambled at the last-minute to put my message together.  I didn’t have time in group time to write a single note, so I spoke off the cuff.  This shouldn’t have been all that difficult, after all, who could tell my story better than me?  However, getting my story told in a few minutes was the challenge.  To me, it was a complete FAIL.

Yvonne, a new friend in this group, saw something through spiritual eyes that night and hasn’t stopped encouraging me since.  On the last day of that conference, Yvonne insisted, “You need to sign up for the She Speaks Intensive scheduled for January 2013.”  She was persistent!  She was confident God wanted me there.

She saw something I couldn’t see, or had heard something from God I hadn’t heard.

By Fall, I was certain I would not be able to make it.  I knew we were having family visit from CA in January, but I was unsure of the exact dates.  Besides, I simply didn’t think it would be financially feasible around Christmas.

After checking in with me, Yvonne insisted, “You need to pray about this.  If God wants you there, He will provide a way!”

So, I prayed, “Ok Lord, I don’t know what’s going on here!  But, if you want me to go to that Intensive, You’re going to have to confirm it by doing a miracle.  Otherwise, I just don’t see how I would be able to go.”

Meanwhile, I had kept in touch with three California, Jesus-beauties I met and sat with through most of She Speaks 2012–Lea, Reiko, and Cynthia.  When Cynthia checked in to see if I would be at the Intensive, I explained, “No” and why I thought not.  She and Reiko were planning to come, so we decided we would at least meet for dinner while they were here in Charlotte.

After Christmas, it occurred to me that the Intensive should soon be approaching.  I had dismissed any thought of going, so I couldn’t remember the dates.  I sent Cynthia a text early one morning, forgetting there’s a 3 hour time difference between NC and CA.  Oops.  Turned out, the timing of my text was God’s timing.  When she responded, she left a voicemail rather than a text.

Her message simply said, “Hi sweetie.  I wanted to respond to your text by calling first.  There’s been a death in my husband’s family, and in a few weeks I’m going to need to go out-of-town with him.  I’m not going to be able to make it to the Intensive.  I already called to see if they could transfer your name in place of mine at the conference.  Everything is paid for, including the hotel.  You would be staying with Reiko.  If this would bless you and would work out with your schedule, give me a call.”

My mouth dropped open!  What?  Seriously?

God had done it!  Again, He left me in awe of Him.

My schedule worked out perfectly, because the out-of-town visitor I mentioned came a couple of weeks earlier than expected.

Of course I called Cynthia, speechless actually!  No words could properly thank her.

She said, “I would rather have the FULL blessing of being a part of what God is doing in your life and the calling He has for you than get a PARTIAL refund.  I’m just glad I can do it and you are willing to receive it!”

We had a wonderful, Holy Spirit-led conversation.  I hung up the phone blessed beyond words by her generosity and blown away by God.

All I could think was, You still do miracles!  Nothing is too big for You, nothing!

Not only did I get to go to the conference, my time with Reiko was priceless, AND the above picture was the view from our room window.

Wow God!

For nothing is impossible with God.  ~Luke 1:37

42 thoughts on “Wow God!

1. Cynthia Ross says:

Just read this. Love the way blessings flow when we release control over how we expect His miricales to come, and just stand expectantly under the faith funnel and receive them. You bless me more than I can articulate. “Write” on girl….write-on! ~C

Cynthia, to say YOU bless me would be an understatement. Although, you DO bless me. You are a words girl, so the fact that you would encourage me to “write-on” is so precious to my heart:) Thank you! Love you and can’t wait to share:)

2. Cheri-CreationScience4Kids says:

Praise the Lord, Rivera!
    Now, you hang on to this story when life hits hard. This kind of story seems to be one of God’s ways of helping us stand strong when the storms come. It also helps us be more confident in the message God gives us. 🙂 🙂

3. Crissy Smothers says:

WOW, Rivera! Talk about a true miracle from God! Only He could have paved the way for this to occur! I look forward to reading about your experience at Intensive!

4. Audrey Malloy says:

For NOTHING is impossible with God!!!…Amen!!
    I love how He loves us!!!! This is so beautiful!!…. I love how your friend says, “I would rather have the FULL blessing of being a part of what God is doing in your life…”
    God is just the best gift giver!!!…, everyday is like a Birthday full of gifts and surprises!!!
    So Awesome!!
    Can’t wait to see what’s next!!!

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights…” James 1:17 LOVE His love for us. He spoils us because we’re His children:) Thank you for walking this journey with me Audrey. Love you.

5. Rachel Hamrick says:

So awesome! I love when God shows himself in such undeniable ways–it is such a faith builder isn’t it? Love you friend!

6. Reiko Wright says:

Your expression “I stand in wonder and awe,” has rubbed off on me since our time together at the intensive. What a beautiful statement and a great way to check my heart. I’m not surprised He provides miraculously for you because you truly are a woman after His own heart. Love the way you brag on Him!

I can’t help bragging on Him:) To say my time with you at the intensive was “priceless” was really an understatement. It was certainly one of the highlights of my time there. Rich conversations of God and His word with a sister equally as in love with Him as I am…can’t be beat! Unforgettable for sure! Thank you Reiko. Love you my friend.

It’s hard to believe that some Christians DON’T believe that God is working miracles today. Your story is proof to the contrary!! PRAISES BE TO THE ONLY ONE WE NEED!!

8. Brandi Luiz says:

That, my friend, is a blessing beyond measure!! So excited to hear more about the workings of the Holy Spirit in your life! :~)

9. Heart to Heart Journey says:

Wow indeed!
    Beautiful story of God working all things together for His good. Isn’t the body of Christ just beautiful!