Awake 24/7

NIght

It was 3 am, and I stirred wide awake out of a dead sleep.  Outside the comforts of home, I was in the hotel suite at the She Speaks Intensive.  My sweet roommate had been sick that week before and was still fighting residual sickness.  I hated to move for fear of waking her.

Instead of the overwhelming urgency to pray for others that I normally experience at this time of night, I felt unsettled.  So uneasy I was doing my best to pray for myself, hoping God would calm me.  Frozen in silence and darkness, I wanted my Bible, but it was in the other room.

The next day I would be sharing my passion and calling, and potentially sharing how they are tied to my story.  The voice in my head was loud, disturbing and condemning.  It said, “Your sin was different, bigger, and in a category of its own.  God hasn’t possibly forgiven you.”

I thought, that can’t be right.  I know that’s not right.

Then the nagging continued, “Don’t you remember, the Bible says, ‘Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?'”

I knew Paul had written that verse with a list of detestable sins.  But sin is sin.  I mean, pride isn’t listed in this verse, but God hates it.  If it weren’t for the blood of Jesus, we would all be separated from God because of sin.  Period!  But the enemy is not above using God’s Word to try to deceive.

I thought, if only I could get to my Bible, I could look it up.  I’m pretty sure I remember talking this over with a friend.  I think there’s more to those verses than that.

That voice continued, “You won’t inherit God’s kingdom.  Who do you think you are?  What makes you think God would ever want to use you?  What makes you think you are worthy to stand in front of women and speak?”

This was a battle over my mind, one that I normally hadn’t struggled with.  It was fierce.  It was loud and convincing!

I had known God wanted me to help tell women of His love for them, no matter where they had been or what they had done.  I knew He wanted to use me to remind them of the freedom and confidence they could have in knowing Him and His forgiveness.

The deceiver of my soul wanted to convince me otherwise.  He tempted.  He didn’t want me to believe the truth about my identity.  I knew God had told me my word for this year would be STAND, but I had no idea the reality of that word would come so soon.  I needed God to help me stand, I needed to get to those verses in my Bible, I needed truth, and at this point, I needed rest!  I knew this was serious!  Restless, I prayed.

The next morning I woke up feeling heavy, anxious, and plain yucky.  I saw a text message on my phone.  Word for word it said,

“Rivera, I woke up during the night with you on my heart.  I felt like something was wrong.  No discernment about what.  I prayed.  This morning I thought you might need reminders of who you are.  You are chosen.  You are precious.  You are called.  You are Abba’s beloved daughter.  You are holy.  You are righteous.  You are pure.  Do not listen to lies about your identity.  Remember the power and authority of the blood of our Savior.  Take your thoughts captive.  Philippians 4:8  Isaiah 26:3  Colossians 3:17.”

Good tears flowed.  I was overwhelmed again by the God-Who-Sees.  He’s awake 24/7, and He saw my struggle.  He saw me fighting.  He loved me so intimately and personally, He woke up one of His prayer warriors (one of my precious friends) to pray… for ME.  Then prompted to speak truth over my identity, she let me know God had intervened on my behalf by having her pray.

In that moment, God’s truth and relentless love for me washed over.  Peace flooded.

I ran to my Bible.  I just needed to see it for myself.

“Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?  (There it is).  Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders  nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.”

Yes that’s what it says, but here’s the good part… the PROMISE!

“And that is what some of you were. BUT you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.”

~1 Corinthians 6:9-11

There it is!  The truth!  And on that we can STAND!

31 thoughts on “Awake 24/7

1. Karen Trigg says:

Thank you so much for sharing the mighty loving power of the One True and Holy God. What a testimony. Beautiful.
    HIS,
    karen

Thank you for this, Miss Rivera!!! Last night I was doubting myself about homeschooling, but I realize now it was the enemy trying to make me feel “unqualified”. Then, I remembered my One Word, Faith!!! As George Michael put it, “I’ve got to have faith, faith, faith!” I feel better now!

Your story also demonstrates how we ladies NEED to have a support network!!! God bless your friend!!!

YES, we do need support…prayer, listening, helping, encouraging one another. So sorry you had to deal with that last night, but glad this helped speak truth over it for you!! 🙂 God is faithful! Worthy of our FAITH:)

3. edy sutherland says:

Oh wow … great message. Our God is a living God who cares for us. The enemy is a worthy adversary but we have been given authority over his scheming. I felt like I was joining you all the way through this – great writing.

4. Reiko Wright says:

I love this. What powerful and beautiful reminder of how our God protects us from the accuser. What a beautiful picture of El Roi – the God who sees and Emmanuel-God with us. Thank you for your vulnerability.

5. concettaruth says:

Thank you for this reminder that God’s Word is true and is stronger than any lie the enemy will use against us. he is trying to use those lies to discourage me from writing, but the Lord is not going to let me quit. Your post is one of the ways He reminded me of it this morning. God bless!

I can’t tell you how encouraging this post is for me. I can relate to those battles with the enemy-a little bit of truth and lots of lies. God is so good to watch over us and cover us in amazing ways. Amen and amen!!

I know this is something all of us face from time to time! I wanted to encourage that God sees, knows, cares, and is fighting for us whether we always see Him or not! I’m glad you were encouraged Laura! Thank you, and yay God!

7. Carol McCall says:

It is a wonderful expression of God’s relentless love for us when He prompts a sister in Christ Jesus to pray for us or reach out to us in love, in truth, and in perfect Holy Spirit prompted timing. This is a reminder that He sees and He knows what we are going through. Your story shows the significance of standing on the Biblical revelation of who God is, what He has done, and who we are in Christ.
    I am abundantly thankful that our Redeemer Lives! Indeed, because of God’s grace, we have been washed, sanctified, and justified in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of God.

God’s wisdom and grace are perfect! This next leg of your journey may be one of the most challenging, but even more powerful than you can imagine!! He has been preparing you for this. Stand in the Truth of His love, His mercies, His protection, His promises…and get ready to GROW!! All my love and prayers…