…When Anxiety Creeps

Carole and Rivera flyerHave you ever known what you were supposed to do, but then when you said yes and the time came to do it, you started back pedaling?  That’s me this week.

I know what God wants from me.  I know what I’m supposed to do.  I’ve known for years.  But now that it’s beginning to happen, I hesitate. I don’t feel capable.  I don’t feel worthy.  Actually, if you want to know the truth, I’m plain scared.

I don’t consider myself a writer or a speaker, necessarily.  But I know I’m a communicator.  I’m an influencer and encourager.

My heart is for justice and truth.  I want people to know Jesus, like really know Him personally, and not just from a distance.  I desire healing  for the hurting and wholeness for the broken. I want to be a spark that God uses to light a fire–Holy Spirit fire–in people.

Here I am faced with opportunity to be His vessel to speak truth, and Fear is trying to overtake me.  But I’ve decided to politely refuse Fear’s offer.  I’d rather trust God and stand in awe of Him than be crippled by Fear.

I’m at a crossroads where I have to go with what I KNOW rather than what I feel.  I know if Jesus is for me, who can be against me?  Right?  And,  Jesus IS for me!  He will sustain me.  He will give me what I need, when I need it.

The truth is… I can’t do this, but HE CAN!

He is faithful.

During my moments of fretting, He pointed these verses out.  He showed me these simultaneously, not just one but two times, over the past week.

“For you shall go to all to whom I send you, And whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of their faces, For I am with you to deliver you,” says the Lord.  Then the Lord put forth His hand and touched my mouth, and the Lord said to me: “Behold, I have put My words in your mouth…”// “Therefore prepare yourself and arise, And speak to them all that I command you.”  ~Jeremiah 1:7-9, 17

“Thus says the Lord to you: ‘Do not be afraid nor dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours, but God’s.”  ~2 Chronicles 20:15b

Not only do His words comfort, they confirm.  They tell me to trust.  They tell me I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing.  They tell me I have nothing to fear.

So with reminders from God and prayers from some really incredible friends, as anxiety creeps, I choose joy.  I choose confidence.  I know I’m called, and by the power and authority of Jesus living in me, I can rest. He will give me all that I need.  I’m excited for what God is about to do.  I expect Him to, once again, leave me and everyone else in awe of Him!  Amen!

** If you are so moved by God, I would love for you to stand with me in prayer for this coming event.  I pray God’s glory all over it!  I pray for revival.

17 thoughts on “…When Anxiety Creeps

1. lauriewhin says:

p.s. I forgot to mention, I love the Scriptures that you shared. Thees are good words to memorize, as I see them being valuable in many situations we face in this life. Adding them to my list… ❤

2. lauriewhin says:

Hi Rivera,
    As I read your post, I couldn’t help but remember Priscilla Shirer’s Simulcast teaching on her new study of Gideon which I was blessed to attend this month. I believe it relates so well to what you are facing. I absolutely loved her last segment on the gifts He gives us. She used the scene of Gideon preparing a meal for the Angel of the Lord.
    Prepare the gift: we spend years with Him, sitting at His feet, alone with Him, learning from Him. Always being diligent in this season. I know you have done this.
    Present the gift: what good is a prepared gift if it is never presented to God? Are we too steeped in fear and doubt to present our gifts? This is where the enemy wants to stop us from being useful. But he hasn’t stopped you. You have given your gift.
    Put it down: release the gift to Him so that He can use it in the way that He wants to use it. Do I tell God how to use my gift? Put the gift down on the Rock! You have done this too.
    Pour it out: Gideon was told to pour out the broth over the rest of the food placed on the rock. When we pour it out, we are completely emptied of our expectations for how He will use our gifts. That’s where He wants us. This Rock became an altar. This gift became a sacrifice unto God. This is where I believe that you are. You have completed all the steps except this last one. So pour it out! Every last drop, with no expectations except that He will use your sacrifice as He chooses for His glory.
    I wish I could be there for your event. Maybe one day…I will be praying for Him to prepare the way for you, opening many hearts to receive your message. And also that His Spirit will be with you to give you strength, clear thoughts, and His peace to calm your fears.
    All for His glory! Laurie

Laurie,
      Thank you. THAT is a good word! I will hide this message in my heart as I move forward following God in the calling He has for me. I pour myself out as a drink offering! 🙂

Estelle, I want you to know tears flowed as I read this comment last night. I’m convinced prayer is the most important element of the night. Thank you for your faithfulness and willingness to cover us… me, Carole, the women serving, and all of the women attending. May God alone be glorified, and may lives be changed forever. Much love. See you soon.

4. Audrey Malloy says:

Oh, how I know and understand just what your feeling!! I join you and the many others..,praying God’s protection over you and for the entire event. This is the time when God shines the brightest through you!!! Reminds me of the very first sripture i ever commited to memory; For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, and love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7
    He’s got this!!.., and YOU my friend!! When fear comes knocking at the door send FAITH to open it!!!! NO worries here cause you are a strong woman of great faith!!
    I (Rivera)am strong, courageous, and firm; I fear not and am not in terror, for it is the Lord my God Who goes with me, He will not fail me or forsake me. Deuteronomy 31:6
    Love you girl!!… Can’t wait to see what God has planned for us ALL that evening!!!
    Xo

5. Lori Lara says:

With you! Go for it – all out! I’m so excited for you. Can’t wait to hear how God moved in you and your listeners. Thanks for be reminder to obey what God places before us.

6. Carol McCall says:

Great post! Indeed those are perfect verses for this situation. When I feel anxious, one of the main verses that ministers to me is Isaiah 26:3 “You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast because he trusts in you.” It reminds me that when I’m anxious, I’m not being steadfast in trusting God. So, I choose to trust God. Praising Him and worshiping Him for Who He Is helps me take my thoughts captive.
    Since you desire to honor and glorify our Lord, He will work in and through you.

Thank you for these reminders Carol. You bless me. I have Is. 26:3 memorized. You’re right if I’m becoming anxious, I’m not fully trusting God. Peace out anxiety! The Lord has me and has this!!

Sweetheart, I KNOW you will give an amazing testimony about the power of God!!! I’ve seen you do this!!! You always do an excellent job. It’s because you KNOW the material and have a passion for it AND for the women you serve! Love you, Girl!!! I’ll be praying for you AND I’ll be there cheering you on (don’t worry…I’ll leave the pom poms at home!!!)

8. Patti Leisure says:

Rivera, reading this entry reminds me of the many, conversations I have had with myself as I have prepared to speak before a group. I had to chuckle because it is as if I could have written this. Same scriptures. Same fears. And I know God will do what He always does with me, take away all fear and His glory will manifest through you. To God be all glory, praise and honor.

Patti yes! We have talked about this in the past. I pray for His glory through me and everything that takes place. Trusting Him for it, and all glory to Him forever and ever, through all generations, Amen!!!

9. Estelle Malone says:

Your words have inspired me!! Thank you!! I am going to be one of your many prayer warriors starting right now! It won’t be you who will be speaking but rather you will be speaking on God’s behalf. When you go and follow after Him, obediently doing His will, He will fill you up to over flowing with the Holy Spirit who will fill your mouth with the words to say….
    ———2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3 I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling. 4 My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, 5 so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power.
    1 Corinthians 2:2-5 New International Version (NIV)
    I am so excited to get together and praise our Lord! Know that you are covered! Lots of love! Estelle Malone