Sometimes It’s Difficult

RiveraDouthit.com

A week and two days ago, it was getting close to dusk, and for a summer evening in the South, the weather was nice out.  We set out on our bikes to enjoy an evening untainted by thunderstorms.  We thought this would be a great way to get some exercise and have some momma/daughter quality time.

We were riding on a little country, dead-end, low-traffic road near our house.  The evening was nice, but for some reason I felt unsettled.  God nudged me to pray for protection, so I did.

We were picking up speed downhill.  She was in front, and we were going along smoothly until her front tire started jerking back and forth.  The bike began fish-tailing, and suddenly Haley was tangled in her bike and being tossed down the asphalt road.

She landed near the side of the road, face up.  She screamed, “Mommy, please help me.  Mommy!!!  Please!! Help me Mommy!  Help me!!”

I couldn’t get my bike to stop fast enough.  This momma’s heart nearly pounded out of her chest.  I had no idea what I would find when I got back up the hill to my girl.

With no cell phone, I was so thankful to see a woman running across her yard and down the hill toward us to help.

All of my years as a nurse, even ones in the ICU, hadn’t prepared me for this one.  Helping injured people is not a problem at all for me, but it felt different when my child was the one injured.  I wanted to puke.

I could see right away that her right, upper arm was broken in two.   I was so afraid she had other internal injuries.  She was scraped with road rash from head to toe.  When I got to her, she was panicking, so I consoled.

I let her talk but wouldn’t let her move.  “Breathe Haley, but please don’t move.  You’re going to be okay honey.   I prayed, “Lord please let her be okay.”  I rode with her to the hospital in an ambulance with her arm and neck in braces and pain meds being given.

After hours and a whole gamut of scans and x-rays, I sat in the Emergency Room watching her writhe in pain as they formed a splint to her broken arm.   It started to sink in.  Tears began to flow uncontrollably.  I had held them in as long as I could.  She wasn’t wearing her helmet.  WHY had I not insisted that she wear her helmet?  WHAT was I thinking?  And WHY had I not grabbed my  phone?  I never go anywhere without my cell phone!

I heard Him whisper, “She’s okay.  Calm down.  I know you feel like you needed these things, but you really didn’t.  You just needed Me.  If you had them, you would’ve felt like you controlled the situation.  This way, you got to see Me.  I intervened, didn’t I?  Her head has no injuries, My hand was her helmet.   I sent a woman and her son with a cell phone to help.  Were you stranded for a single minute?”

I hear You, and I’m so in awe of You!  I’m so thankful.  I couldn’t stop thanking Him for protecting her head and neck!  I’ve seen those injuries.  I knew, and I was grateful to tears.  Thank you for protecting my baby girl.

He said, “Don’t forget.  She’s My baby girl too.  I love her.  I have plans for her, and I’m going to use this in both of your lives.”

Three days later, as we drove to her doctor’s appointment, Haley said,  “Mom, I think I know why this happened.”

I asked, “Why?”

She continued, “God wants to know if you trust Him.”

I replied, “Honey, you might be right.  I’m sure there are multiple reasons why God allowed this to happen, but that’s probably one of them.”

She said, “You know mom, it’s easy to trust God when things are easy, but it’s harder when it’s difficult. “

I said, “Yes, Haley, you’re right.  Sometimes it’s just plain difficult.  And your momma chooses to believe that God is good, and His plans for us are good no matter how difficult things get.  He will get us through it, and He’ll probably teach us a few things in the process that will make us better.  No matter what, I choose to stand on His promises:  that He’ll never leave us or forsake us, and that His plans are to prosper us and not to harm us, to give us a hope and a future.  I know He’s with us in this car right now,  and He will work this all out for our good, somehow.  I trust Him!  And guess what little one!  From now on, you WILL wear your helmet!”

14 thoughts on “Sometimes It’s Difficult

1. Megan says:

That was a beautiful story! glad she is going to be okay. I love reading your story’s I love you and your moma you have a good mom.I am praying for Haley that she fells better soon

2. Shelly says:

Tears! So glad she is going to be okay. Haley’s words about God wanting to know if we trust him really hit home. I like that! My husband recently changed jobs to a place we thought was opened by God, but now it’s not going so well there and we can’t help feeling it was a big mistake (as well as being told that by others) and that maybe God didn’t want him there. We keep telling each other we have to trust God no matter what happens, but it has been challenging to do that and not worry. The job doesn’t seem very stable. You’re right, sometimes it is difficult. Why do we worry when we know we should trust God? Ugh! Praying for your daughter’s healing : )

Thank you for prayers Shelly. I hate that you’re struggling and second guessing your move. I’m praying for provision and clarity for next steps for you and your husband. Blessings my friend as you trust God with everything. He is faithful.

Oh, my goodness, Rivera!!! Poor Haley and poor YOU! The kids and I prayed for complete healing of her bones and road rash last night. I really feel God spoke those words to you through her. Hugs to you all!!! ❤

Thank you so much Pamela, for prayers of healing. I believe Him for healing. I’ve see Him already doing it over the past week:) Yes, those words were from God:) thank you for encouraging! Love you friend.

4. Sydni says:

I’m so glad everything worked out. What an incredible story. I really needed this. I struggle in trusting God all the time and not trying to take control of things (because I’m not really in control anyway). Thank you so much for sharing.

Praise God for protecting Haley and for being all that we need! What I love most about this story is this: Haley wasn’t “born” with the knowledge of how God works in and through our lives nor with the inclination to teach others the same. As others have said before me (in a slightly different way, perhaps), “Spiritual matters are ‘caught,’ not taught.” No doubt, Haley has “caught” the example you’ve provided, and then she “taught” it back to you! How divine!!

6. Brandi Luiz says:

WOW Rivera, what a story. I am so grateful that things worked out and that she only had road rash and a broken arm.
    I understand what you say about knowing how to take care of your patients, but when it’s your child it is SO different. My oldest daughter passed out last summer in MY living room and I panicked! I yelled at Jeff to “do something”. Yet, at work when a crisis hits, they yell at me, “do something!!”
    So thankful for Haley’s words of encouragement and her maturity in Christ. What a great young lady you have!

Brandi