Great

How Great is Our God

She really did NOT just do that!   She’s saying that exactly the way I say it.  She’s doing that the way I do it!  But I use that in MY messages.  I’m seriously watching myself here!  God gave that to ME!  How could she steal it?

These thoughts rushed in as I watched someone take something I felt was unique to me, something I knew for sure God had given me in my alone time with Him.  I was SO irritated!  Furious really!  How could she do that?  I didn’t give her permission.  I don’t get it!  WHY would she do it?  Get your own stuff.  Don’t steal from other people!  Are you kidding me?  I thought!

It didn’t take long to realize this wasn’t as much about what she had done.  This was between God and me, and was more about my reaction.  Could I lay down pride and let it go? Could I quickly forgive?  Could I choose to love, regardless of the offense?

Every time I felt the need to hash it out, I had clearly not let it go. Pride does this… It hesitates to forgive.

It remembers and rehashes.

It insists on getting the credit!

It has to have the last word!

It maintains that it is right!

It desires to build its own kingdom.

PRIDE is ugly.  It destroys friendships, marriages, and individuals.

I’m convinced one of our greatest hindrances to greatness is our desire to be great.  We all do it too!  Something in us wants to be accepted, recognized, and affirmed.

We rudely spend way too much time attempting to build our own kingdom, and way too little building God’s.

An argument started among the disciples as to which of them would be the greatest.   Jesus, knowing their thoughts, took a little child and had him stand beside him.  Then he said to them, “Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me.  For he who is least among you all—he is the greatest.”  ~Luke 9:46-48

What does it mean to be great?  Isn’t it recognizing that in and of ourselves we are nothing?

True GREATNESS is actually humility.  And I’ve heard humility described as simply knowing who you are in relation to God.  It’s having the right perspective.  It’s the same as God-confidence.

If we want to be truly great we MUST realize who we are AND Who God is!  Greatness is realizing we can do nothing GREAT apart from God.  He is our source of greatness, because He IS GREAT!

Sobering, isn’t it?  Yes, God used this situation to put me right in my place, reminding me of who I am and who HE is!

He called me to love this woman, my sister in Christ.  How difficult!

He told me to forgive her.  I knew without Him, I was only capable of harboring bitterness.  Really!

He whispered, “Rivera you can’t, but I can.  You aren’t, but I AM.  Let it go and let Me!”

It took several days, but I let Him.  I chose love.  I forgave.  I knew when I no longer felt the need to talk about it, I had let it go!

How freeing and truly great!  How truly God!

19 thoughts on “Great

1. Jan Meek says:

I am sorry that you were hurt and I pray and ask for forgiveness if it was me who you are referring to as I know that I quoted something you said on Twitter. Regardless of it is was me or not, I should have asked for permission. You are a wonderful woman of faith and I thank you for spreading God’s love and being a powerful witness for Him.

Oh goodness NO! You are so sweet Jan!! It wasn’t you! I’m honored that you thought something I had written was worthy of being repeated or quoted!! You don’t need my permission! Besides, I think I remember what you’re referring to, and you gave credit to me for having said it! Don’t you think another thought about that! Thank you for your sweet and considerate words;)

2. bellaverita says:

Hi Rivera! Such a great post. I love that you point out sometimes we need to ask for God’s help in forgiving & He is faithful to do just that. Good words! Thanks for sharing!

3. Cynthia Ross says:

Oh darlin! Beautifully written! I hear your heart (I know the story) and I praise God for giving you the struggle because you just glorified Him in it. I am so proud of you. (Can I say that without that being weird?) So darn proud of my friend. You watch what else God is gonna do. When you think someone is stealing your destiny, God shows you a new route. :)~.
    XXOO ~C

Thanks again for a candid and timely post! I’ve been in this battle this week, but not understanding why I couldn’t let it go. Thanks for naming it. Ahh…pride. Really? I didn’t recognize it clothed in righteous indignation and self-pity. Confessing here…and thanking you for posting!

Imitation is the finest form of flattery! It means you’re doing something great! I don’t know the situation, but maybe God wants to give your words to someone else to reach a wider or different audience. Somehow, it will probably increase yours in the end! Keep on, keeping on, my friend! God started a great work in you through this blog! ❤

6. JoAnn says:

This was spot on this morning. It may take me a few days, but I desire to let go & stop rehashing. I want to choose Jesus, truth and life over Pride and it’s destructive nature.